Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Hello po!

This week FLEW by.  I cannot believe it's Pday again.  I feel like I say this all the time but.....time is really flying!  

This week was a good week.  I am happy here.  Last week after we saw the transfer list, I was kind of bummed.  I let myself be sad for a minute, but then afterwards, I picked myself back up and moved forward.  I'm not going to be sad or disappointed, especially about things that I can't control.  So...I've set some goals for this cycle and I am ready to have another GREAT cycle here in Burgos!  I really do love it here in Burgos.  I am excited for this cycle here!

Things have been pretty calm here.  No rain.  We were able to have about 25 lessons this week, which was good! 

I am also doing well with my companion.  I really have felt the power of your prayers and your fasting!  Thank you so much!  We have more time to work now that training is over, and we have been enjoying planning and working together.  We usually switch off planning and leading the area every other day.  I got the idea to do "evaluations" each night.  We have been doing it for almost a week and it's really helping.  We say three things we like about our companion from that day, and one thing that can be improved.  It helps us be more open with each other, and it helps us find the good and positive in each other.  It's helping us become closer and more open with each other.  It's also helping us recognize our personal strengths and weaknesses, which is helping us improve faster and better.  It's been a great help for our companionship.  Sometimes it's hard to be with the same person for such a long time, but the evaluations have helped our companionship to become better.  I know that we are still companions for a reason, and I am going to do my best to help her be her best.  I love her!  We are going to have a great cycle together.

I am currently studying in the New Testament and in Jesus the Christ.  It is my goal this cycle to finish studying the New Testament.  I have never studied closely the life and works of Jesus Christ in the NT; this is my first time.  I am loving what I am learning and I feel like I know more about my Savior and the Gospel than I ever have before.  

I have also discovered a new favorite food....Banana Q!  It's a banana fried and coated in sugar.  I'm sure it has a thousand calories but it's soooooooo good!  I'll make you some when I get back. :)  They call it "banana q" like "bbq."  I'm not sure why because it's not even barbecued, it's fried.  Haha, silly Philipinos.

This Sunday when we walked into church, we were surprised to be greeted by President and Sister Hiatt!  They said they came to "check out Burgos."  It was fun to have them there.  They each bore their testimonies during sacrament meeting.  They are cute and nice.  I feel like I still don't know them as well yet, but I am excited to get to know them more.  

About 120 people attended our branch this Sunday, which is great!  We also had two investigators, Sherell (a young woman) and Basilisa (RS).  I saw Nanay Basilisa as we were working Sunday afternoon.  She said she had loved church and that the ladies were all so nice to her.  She put her arm around me and smiled and said, "I'm excited to come back next week."  YES!  That's what we want to hear!  Her husband, Jessie, came to church last week, but he had work this past Sunday, so he couldn't come.  We're excited for them to come to church together next week.  They have a baptismal date scheduled for September 3!  I am so excited for them!

This past Sunday, I fasted for us to have a baptism this cycle.  We have been working so hard, and we really want to help the people here that we love come unto Christ through baptism.  We are doing, and will be doing everything we can for the people that we are teaching to be baptized.  Sometimes things get in the way.  Work. Family. School. Other religions.  But we are doing our best to avoid all obstacles and help people make it straight to baptism.

I have so much more to say and so much more to write, but I am out of time! 

I love you all so much.  I miss you all so much!  You're in my thoughts and prayers, always.  I hope you all have a fun, amazing, beautiful last week of summer. 

I LOVE YOU OH SO MUCH!


xo Sister Allen

Rice as far as the eye can see.

Our branch missionary, Janica, entered the MTC in Manilla this week.  
She is a missionary now!!

On our way back from church in our beloved kulong-kulong.


1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your experiences but the best thing is reading about the love you have for everyone. you have become so Christ-like. I'm proud of you and pray for you. I don't know how I'd survive eating such different food. I guess if you get hungry enough, you'd try almost anything. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete